There is only one goal in social business – engage! You must be engaged with some aspect of your social communities every day. When we engage we hold out our hand to others in our community, looking for a connection and for a relationship, for business, friendship and fun.
Here are the five fingers that make up the outstretched hand of social media connections.
- Engage. In social business, to engage means to be completely involved in the community continuously. When you are fully engaged in the community it becomes an integral part of your business activity, not just a sideline. The power of engagement is not just the connection or creating or participating in the experience, engagement means finding ways to make the experience easier and more enjoyable for everyone you are engaged with – friends, fans, followers, tribes, employees, team members and strategic partners.
- Collaborate. It’s no secret that social media is all about community, sharing, caring, interaction and collaboration. This is a group effort. What is important for social marketing is that each social media community is different. Each has a different way of interacting, different values, a different voice. Knowing the differences and how to collaboratively engage with each community is critical to success.
- Learn. We’ve all been told that social media is about sharing and listening. Very true. Having a successful social business also requires learning not just listening. That is, sharing, listening, then changing your behavior based on what’s been shared and heard, and acting on the information to make a difference to the community and improve your products and services. That’s learning the social media way.
- Share. Hold nothing back. Freely share what you know, what you’ve learned and what you need. Share the best of what your business has to share. Share what others share with you. That’s the choice that we made with 5 Easy Pages. The heart of our system, all 5 pages, is available free on our Website.
- Empower. Empower your company and everyone associated with it to be flexible, adaptable and agile so that you can take advantage of the speed of social media change and make better and faster decisions. Allow for decision-making throughout your team, not just at the top. Empower creativity for everyone.
When you and your team actively engage using these five fingers of social media, I’ve no doubt you will find an outstretched hand in return.
That’s my take, what’s yours? Please comment and let us know.